WHAT BACKDOORS ARE AND HOW TO PROTECT
Dear readers of Tecnogalaxy, today we will talk about backdoors we will see in detail what can do an attacker on our computer or on our device, of course we will also see the techniques to defend against this attack.
In computer science a backdoor (translated into English door on the back), if used for illegal purposes becomes a very dangerous and harmful method. Generally it is kept secret by the user, it is used to access a system bypassing the normal authentication, whether it is an operating system such as Windows, or a device, or a software.
WHAT IS A BACKDOOR
Let’s take a practical example by making a comparison by running a non-computer backdoor.
As an actor in a spy movie we suppose that in our city is organized a mega party where there are famous footballers, actresses and people of the show, obviously we were not invited but we want at all costs to be there.
The front door of the mega villa is off-limits as you can imagine, the security is a lot and the security cameras guard the front ensuring that no one can intrude on the party without invitation.
Let’s look at the situation… we circle around the villa checking the entire perimeter and we realize that the rear of the villa is quieter than the front, the garden is practically empty and there is no security that supervises, It’s dark enough that we can’t be seen by security cameras.
Once we sneak into the garden we enter through the back door, now we can attend the event without being disturbed by security, we can take pictures of celebrities, listen to some gossip and leave micro spies inside the villa.
That’s all a backdoor would do in computer terms, as mentioned above is a way to access a system without going through normal authentication by bypassing security.
The backdoors used by the attackers are practically invisible to the system attacked and the unfortunate may not realize anything, in most cases exploit vulnerabilities not yet secured with their patches.
A backdoor can be written specifically, or an attacker after discovering a flaw such as software could exploit it by turning the software into a backdoor.
A backdoor can be used by an attacker for any use, from industrial espionage to private data theft to victim monitoring.
An attacker usually after activating the backdoor is not said to exploit it immediately, could start to exploit it even after a long time (said in technical jargon persistent backdoor).
HOW DO WE DEFEND OURSELVES AGAINST BACKDOORS?
As I say in all my articles you must always keep high the bar of attention, because as we have seen it takes little to fall into the trap.
The defense is linked to the type of backdoor used, a good antivirus will surely protect our computer and mobile devices from backdoors created by viruses. For the pre-installed backdoors in the software and hardware we use, there is little to do, we will have to wait for someone to discover the flaw and make it public.
The main steps to follow remain the same:
- Install a good antivirus and keep it up to date.
- Keep your operating system and all the software you use up to date through the various security patches releases.
- Only install secure apps and software from trusted sources.
- When installing software or an app, always carefully check all the steps and don’t click the Next button without thinking about it. Software buggy during installation install other software whose reliability is not checked (these software may contain viruses or backdoors).
- Read articles that explain phishing so as to avoid downloading malware on your devices.
- Read as much as possible articles on cybersecurity so as to stay up to date.
As always make good use of it by doing tests on your devices / computers , making them on devices/computers not yours is illegal.
- IROBOT HAS ACCEPTED AMAZON’S 1.7 BILLION OFFER
- APPLE, GOOGLE AND MICROSOFT WANT TO REMOVE PASSWORDS
- GOOGLE AND META ARE BACK IN TROUBLE WITH THE EU
- THE JAMES WEBB TELESCOPE SHOWS IMAGES FROM THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO
- WHAT CLOUD IS AND HOW IT WORKS
Was this article helpful to you? Help this site to keep the various expenses with a donation to your liking by clicking on this link. Thank you!
Follow us also on Telegram by clicking on this link to stay updated on the latest articles and news about the site.
If you want to ask questions or talk about technology you can join our Telegram group by clicking on this link.
© Tecnogalaxy.org - It is forbidden to reproduce the content of this article.
Follow us on Telegram